Friday, May 21, 2010

OMG you guys

Perks of Being a Wallflower is being made into a movie...pause for dramatic silence.
If you've ever read my blog, you know that I won't shut up about this book, and that is for good reason. Perks absolutely made my teenage years. I cannot put into words how much this book means to me. It's been passed through so many people (read: I've pushed it on so many people) that it's completely worn out with a broken spine, tattered pages, and a very sweet message written in red sharpie from my boyfriend in the front (you're the only one to make me feel infinite too, baby.)
This is one of the books I can honestly point to and say, "Yeah, that changed my life." I've literally read it dozens of times, and can recite a majority of the pages.
Anyway, I found out about the movie from Sarah LaPolla's blog, and nearly jumped out of my seat. My fingers were fumbling all over my blackberry as I called The Boyfriend, praying he wasn't in work yet. He picked up, and I responded with "Perks is being made into a movie with Hermoine Granger," but I was so excited that I had to try at least three times to get it out. He freaked out as well, hemmed and hawed with me about the casting, then we chatted forever about it as if we won't see each other in a few hours, because that's what Perks does to people, guys.
So, Emma Watson is playing Sam. I love Emma Watson, I really do, but she's not who I was expecting. I guess you can never get exactly what you want, because they'll never look just like you imagine them. To me, Sam was tall, a little plain, and just so much older than Charlie. Logan Lerman (aka Percy Jackson) is playing Charlie. And I'm just so ehhh about the casting. Charlie is supposed to be, like, 14, tiny and adorable. When I'm reading Perks, I constantly just want to wrap him up in my arms and keep him safe. The difference between a freshman and senior in high school is massive. The difference between an 18 year old and a 21 year old? Not massive at all.
What I am so far from bummed about is the director/screenwriter. It is Mr. Chbosky himself. I've written that name so many times in my obsessive ranting that I don't even have to look it up anymore. I always whined about him not writing another book (can you tell I whine a lot?) but I completely forgive him now. As Boyfriend put it, now nothing will be lost in the artistic translation. Let's just pray for that.
If you haven't read it yet, shame on you! No, I'm kidding, just go get it. You can probably order it from Amazon for super cheap. Look, I'll even link you. It's barely more than a hundred pages so you have no excuse!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

213 pgs actually ;) but its a super small book so it feels like only 100 :) Yes, I did buy it on Friday like you ordered me to, and yes, I did read it in one sitting...just like you said! lol really great book...so yes, anyone who hasnt read it yet, MUST!!!!